— Sat, Mar 3, 2007 —

Well, our political discourse has devolved in to calling people "faggot." This is frightening, sad and enraging all at once:

Best-selling right-wing author Ann Coulter, speaking to a conservative audience in Washington Friday, called former Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., a "faggot."

Coulter was a featured speaker at the 34th annual Conservative Political Action Conference. Following her prepared remarks, televised on C-Span, Coulter was asked to talk about Edwards.

"It turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' so I'm kind of at an impasse -- I can't really talk about Edwards," she said.

This is one of the most outrageous things to come out of American politics, ever. This is unacceptable.

[Source]

Read More: Politics

Looking to comment? Scroll here.

Comments

arieschic says:

There is no need for anyone (homophobic or not) to call people who choose that lifestyle names or act out aggressively towards gay people, even if you don't agree with the way they choose to live their lives. It's really sad that she had to use that term and she thinks she being witty with it, but she is just using very poor taste.

March 3, 2007 5:32 PM
CDD says:

The saddest part is that no mainstream media outlets have covered this. Fucking disgrace. They'll give countless hours to Isaha Washington doing the same thing. Yet they can't cover a talking head making biggoted remarks about a former U.S. Senator and Presidential candidate at a conference with some of the biggest names in the Rublican party in attendance?! It is truly the end of our civilization--just a few more stories on the AP about Paris at the expense of REAL news to go, we're almost there...

March 3, 2007 5:35 PM
Jenny says:

Ugh. The woman is an idiot. She needs to die. Quickly.

March 3, 2007 5:37 PM
CDD says:

One more thought: arieschic and other who've written the same thing I've seen elsewhere, I see your point but I don't think it was poor taste or a bad choice of words. I think she 100% said it on purpose. I've heard Edwards speak and he is very for civil rights for gays. This was her way of attacking those great ideals, in a very childish manner.

Coulter is one hell of an ugly cunt.

March 3, 2007 5:37 PM
B says:

It seems that in our society people push the limit a little bit more everyday, until people become so desensitized that anything and everything becomes acceptable to say or do in public. Disgusting.

March 3, 2007 5:41 PM
angela says:

It's funny because the guy in that clip has seen more Santorum than John Edwards ever will. (+2 for me!)

Time for some 'Angels in America' viewing parties.

March 3, 2007 6:25 PM
ohplease says:

Ann Coulter says something outrageously offensive? Shocking. Unless you've been living under a rock, you should know that this kind of crap is her bread and butter. It's hardly news. Stop being such a self-righteous blowhard. This is a celebrity blog for god's sake. Post some pictures of Nicole Richie and shut up.

March 3, 2007 6:51 PM
kroy says:

She could use her voice for more positive causes, instead her ignorance continues to perpetuate predjudice on all levels. How can we shut this woman up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 3, 2007 8:07 PM
Penelope says:

Dear Oh Please,
You need to calm the hell down.
Why so bitchy?
Love,
Penelope

March 3, 2007 8:21 PM
Sam says:

Ummm....WHAT???
Ann Coulter is still considered a politician???
Why would any group who wants to be taken seriously have her as a guest speaker? She's a joke - every word out of her mouth is done for shock value and publicity. There ceased to be any validity in her opinions or her actions the minute she decided to become a publicity whore and then just one in general.

March 3, 2007 8:56 PM
tlatzoteotl says:

The fact that she was invited at all to this thing speaks volumes about the Republican party (of course, I'm not a real fan of Democrats, either - I wrote to the gov't and told them I didn't want to be a registered voter anymore about 8 months ago).

She thought she was so cute, didn't she? I hate her.

March 3, 2007 9:37 PM
M.Rene says:

Ann Cunter. Nuff said.

March 3, 2007 9:47 PM
Kitchy says:

*yawn*

Didn't Cord just bitch about Fox presenting entertainment news instead of real news?

So gossip blogs just stick to entertainment news, not politics.

March 3, 2007 9:49 PM
Becca says:

She is a celebrity because she's sold herself that way. Granted, she's an idotic, homophobic, elitist celebrity. It's just that she became famous by being a bully, not by showing her lady parts and doing blow off some guy's chest.

Yeah. I said lady parts.

March 3, 2007 10:07 PM
barb says:

A waste of vital organs. She disgusts me.

March 3, 2007 10:17 PM
what the? says:

She is such a loose cannon. People like her with no self control or tact should not have any kind of public forum. You can't tell me she didn't know that what she said was wrong.

March 3, 2007 10:19 PM
jbonz says:

This is why freedom of speech is so important: when you let your enemies speak their minds you know where they're coming from. There's nowhere for her to hide now.

March 3, 2007 10:31 PM
kat says:

This chick is nuts. Plain and simple.

March 3, 2007 10:49 PM
lucy says:

John Edwards is not even gay, but either way it's ridiculous that Ann Coulter speaks so derogatively toward politicians who are not of her "persuasion". This is why Americans are feeling so disgusted with the Republican party since they aren't "compassionate conservatives".

She is vitriolic and a provocateur. And she shouldn't be commenting on politics if she can't articulate arguments without embarrassing herself.

March 3, 2007 10:54 PM
quijibo says:

kudos for posting this Cord.

the line between entertainment and politics has always been blurry.

anyone protesting about your posting of Coulter on mollygood, needs to stick their head OUT of the sand.

March 4, 2007 12:01 AM
Nameless says:

I don't see what the big deal is. It is called Freedom of Speech whether you like it or not. They are just words. I have seen people on this blog call people names that they don't even know. I have seen the words BITCH, CUNT, WHORE, etc. You are not any better than her if you want to call people names. Grow up too. My take on her comment is that she was making fun of the people who made Isiah Washington go to Rehab for using the word. Its like" I can't say that word because I would go to rehab if I did." Making fun of celebrities who do stupid things to "apologize." I mean rehab?...come on.

March 4, 2007 12:16 AM
gdaysunshine says:

What is most outrageous is that the crowd roared with applause!

March 4, 2007 12:20 AM
Namless Again says:

By the way...people should start joining the Libertarian party. Fair tax, gay rights, privatized social security, border control, no wars, legal drugs, basically anything the government shouldnt be deciding FOR YOU. I think it is sad that people rely on the governement for things they can do for themselves. Private schools should be a must. I and you are paying for generations of uneducated morons who will run this country.

Oh and another thing.... Global Warming isnt real. If it is...prove it.
Al Gore can suck all the Carbon Dioxide this country puts out.

March 4, 2007 12:21 AM
angela says:

^
yo nameless, most of the morons running the country were educated at private schools.

March 4, 2007 12:59 AM
angela says:

forgot to mention some deets:

She was invited to speak at this thing based on her shtick. Mitt Romney introduced her to an audience that included Dick Cheney and all of the GOP presidential candidates aside from McCain. Her lark song draws all the bigots to the yard.

March 4, 2007 1:16 AM
Becca says:

If we're paying for the morons who run this country, then we're also paying for the genuises who are curing cancer. Public school serves both ends of the spectrum.

March 4, 2007 1:53 AM
Call says:

The only thing funny about this is how pissed of libs become. It's true AND funny. Bonus!

March 4, 2007 4:03 AM
sally says:

When I heard about this I thought it must've been bad to make this big a deal about it and then I saw the clip...what's the big deal? She was trying to make a point about how this world is going...everyone is all up in arms when someone makes a comment...was it nice?...no..but come on people lighten up...sticks and stones...and come ON, she wasn't calling him GAY...omg ...you people need to stop listening to the news...people use that word to describe a type of person, not to say something about their sexuality...

March 4, 2007 8:05 AM
Allie says:

This is pathetic. She makes up and says outrageous things because she is to stupid and lazy to fact check or care. I'm afraid the things she says are what all conservatives are thinking. Scary that we have one in charge. I'm recently out of the army and saw how terrifying having these people run the country is. They are out of control. Good luck to everyone.

March 4, 2007 9:23 AM
Used to Love her says:

Yes, there is freedom of speech and I don't expect anymore from her. Just like Paris. She only said it to get ATTENTION. If she REALLY wanted to make a point - she could have re-phrased it and said the "f" word instead of actually saying the word. The point is SHE SAID THE DAMN WORD AGAIN. That is what offends me so much. Why does she have to get publicity off of a racist remark? She could have made the same point without ACTUALLY saying the word. I discuss it all the time, AND I DON'T SAY THE WORD. JEEZ STOP SAYING IT!!! But she has everyright to say it, and now we hate her even more - and are more disgusted by republicans. The point should be to stop the hate, not perpetuate it. But again, I expect nothing less from her.

March 4, 2007 1:47 PM
GOD says:

FYI: Unless you are a.) a queer, such as myself or b.) a throwback redneck from some part of the US without television or society, it really isn't ok to say that about anyone. Now, I'm a dyke. I'm ok with that. My girlfriend can call me that. My best faggoty boyfriend can call me that. But if I don't know you and you call me that, prepare to feel the wrath of my fist, bitch.

Sorry, I am usually the epitomy of love and peace, but Ann Coulter really chaps my ethereal hide and she will not live with me when someone finally offs her. She will live with Uncle Samhain downstairs. Later, Coulter!

March 4, 2007 2:03 PM
Dee says:

Jenny says:
Ugh. The woman is an idiot. She needs to die. Quickly.

CDD says:
Coulter is one hell of an ugly cunt.

lucy says:

YEP, YOU PEOPLE MAKE SOME REALLY INTELLIGENT STATEMENTS. WHERE'S THE OUTRAGE AT BILL MAHER SAYING THE ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT ON CHENEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL???? IDIOTS.

March 4, 2007 2:05 PM
Catalpa2 says:

Where are the 'right to free speech' people.? All Im reading is condemnation of her words. But, heres the thing..if she were someone you all admired, or even liked, you allwould be defending her right ot free speech especially if she were talking about (an unpopular Republican) fill in the blank______)...Right?

March 4, 2007 2:20 PM
Jihad says:

This is why I love this blog. You've a true voice. This woman has always been offensive to my ears...
Dee, back to the church which baptized you...shit.

"She will live with Uncle Samhain downstairs."
(hahaha)

March 4, 2007 2:39 PM
GOD says:

If John Edwards called Ann Coulter a dyke, I'd be offended. Not just because it's rude and uncivilized, but what an insult to me. Anyway, I think us queers need to take it back into our own hands, if you catch my meaning. You're right to free speech ends where my fist begins, or something like that. John Edwards needs to punch a bitch! Also, it would be so hot if John Edwards really was a homo. Except not for his wife or kids. But his accent is hawt, ya'll.

March 4, 2007 3:13 PM
Nicole says:

There is no reason really to get all pissed off at Ann. It is what she wants- if you are angry and calling her names like bitch, cunt etc. you seem sorta defensive. My dear Mollygood friends, there is no reason to run into her vile bait. This is getting around and people are growing impatient with her money-making hate talk. At first, I agreed with #5 about folks getting desensitized... but ha-ha what I really think is that people aren't getting desensitized but bored with talking heads with no point, no vision and no solutions. ... like for global warming #23 - duh. Don't embarrass yourself like that.

March 4, 2007 4:20 PM
giggidy says:

It's not that she said something that "is SO like Ann Coulter", but it's that high-ranking GOP members are ENDORSING her. They know she appeals to the religious-right and they want those votes. That is what's scary and enraging.

March 4, 2007 4:40 PM
Pecarrie says:

I Like Nameless' take on it, and I certainly agree with her turn of the tables for all those people who do nothing but badmouth all day long...

March 4, 2007 5:54 PM
spitbook.com says:

Ann Coulter is crazy!

March 4, 2007 7:18 PM
Becca says:

Hey #28 - Sally...

You're right. She wasn't directly calling him gay. She was doing it passive aggressively. And apparently that makes it okay.

I love this country and I love the right to Free Speech. But I can't agree when anyone uses derogatory comments about a person implying something about their lifestyle. Conservative, liberal, whoever. I can say that I don't like Ann Coulter because that's my right. But it's not okay to degrade an entire population of people to make a ridiculous and unnecessary point.

I don't like any of these people who are out for sheer shock value. They don't contribute to the dicussion, the purpose they serve is to add fuel to the fire. And not by their vast knowledge of what is politically good for the country, but rather what is good for themsleves and their image.

And for those who were saying that the true outrage lies with the politicians who applaude this behavior, I whole-heartedly agree with you.

March 5, 2007 12:49 AM
Nobody cares. says:

Everytime there is news of "bigots" as you call them, you cover it. What about the war in Iraq? What about the state of our country? What about finding a cure for AIDS? What about global warming?
You yourself are a bigot Cord, don't scorn all others who don't like your kind as if you don't like them back.

March 5, 2007 3:24 AM
Muffy says:

Who cares! What happened to freedom of speech. Oh yeh, that only goes one way now. Dare you speak your mind, the witch hunt will begin. If she wants to imply that Edwards is a faggot then let her. Who cares? We all have minds of our own and can think for ourselves. What she or anyone else says about anyone else is not very relevant. Everything with a grain of salt, people. We should all be able to speak our minds. Whether you listen or not is your own choice. Controlling others is losing your own freedom.

March 5, 2007 11:13 AM
Bad Dream Girl says:

So much for her hateful words. I have a question about her fashion.

Why is Ann Coulter always dressed in cocktail attire?

Especially for 7 a.m. interviews.

Did she not make it home yet from the previous evening? It is her combination of vitriolic conservative hatemongering packaged as a coquettish sex-kitten that I find both confusing and repulsive.

I get nightmares of nasty old Republican men having disgusting fantasies about Ann as they write even more conservative policies to please her.

March 5, 2007 11:50 AM
Monica says:

People need to stop being so sensitive. You cannot say anything in today's world anymore for fear of offending someone. I'm not saying that Ann Coulter was right to say what she said. But why can't people just dismiss it? Why does this kind of junk have to be so blown out of proportion? People have different views and although not everyone may agree, people can say whatever they want. Just learn to let it go!

March 5, 2007 2:01 PM
Nicole says:

"Controlling others is losing your own freedom" Muffy is officially brilliant!!!!

March 5, 2007 2:03 PM
Nicole -again says:

btw- That was not meant to sound sarcastic... I really appreciate what you wrote... but ironically as it happens, my husband was coming in the room so I impulsively sent it and closed the window. He hates that I visit this website. He thinks it is frivolous- and while the others -sorta, kinda like it- are in my opinion. MG commenters really do put different spins on the world around us that I wouldn't have thought of and that I don't always agree with and usually in a coherent way. Perhaps unlike this babble.

March 5, 2007 2:09 PM
kevoon says:

First of all post #1 is wrong. John Edwards is not gay. So she did not call a gay person a fag. Second, since when has the gay culture started to resemble the Nazi's? "She should die quikly"? Also post #2 says the media is not paying any attetion to this. Are you high? It's all i heard about on every news station all damn day. Even FOX is covering it. I had to come here to read a post about Bill "dumbass" Mahr saying the VP assasination should have been successful. That ive had a hard time seeing coverage about. Post #28 So you can hate Ann coulter cuz thats your right? Im sure you have never met her or really know anything about her personally. But someone else can't hate gays? Uh your wrong you do have the right in this country whether you agree with it or not. People have the right to be stupid. Ann coulter is stupid if she goes out of her way to avoid gays( i doubt she does). All this over calling a non-gay a faggot!!! think about that, he's not even gay.

March 5, 2007 6:56 PM
theoriginalbitch says:

Ann's an attention whore who'll do/say anything to get the focus on herself, hence the cocktail attire and the turret like outburst every 6 months. Before the latest comment, no one's paying her any. After the comment, her name's on everyone's lips. And her defense, she meant no offense, just a joke or was she taken out of context? Oh well, take your pick. Whatever the reasoning, this latest flare up will keep her on the cable talkies for the next couple of weeks. And in the end, that's probably exactly what she wants.

To the poster that states that she should die, I totally disagree. Yes she's an idiot but she shouldn't die because of her idiocy. I say, take away the one thing she obviously craves above all else, attention.

March 5, 2007 8:40 PM
Jeff H says:

When will you people learn that disliking something (or someone), even intensely, is NOT the same thing as fearing it (or them)? Stop the idiotic use of the term "homophone" for someone who dislikes--or simply makes fun of--queers (THEIR word, not mine).

March 5, 2007 10:53 PM
marc says:

you are all faggots for making such a big deal about this. Stop being so easily offended. She was stupid to say it, she was called out on it, move on. You bunch of hamfags.

If I call someone a cunt, am I a vagiphobe?

March 6, 2007 2:58 PM
Craig says:

You liberals have got to be kidding !!!! You're throwing a hissie fit over what Ann Coulter said when your idiot leaders such as John Kerry and Howard Dean have said worse ----much worse on a weekly basis!

March 6, 2007 4:44 PM
Cord says:

Define "much worse," and then discuss how it happens on a "weekly basis," using the past couple weeks as examples. You can't.
Best,
Cord

March 6, 2007 4:47 PM
Marie says:

(((Claps for Cord's rational comment to an irrational claim.)))

March 6, 2007 5:27 PM
Monica says:

Cord may have had a valid response to an unsubstantiated claim regardint comment #51, but his title for this post was also unsubstantiated. Ann Coulter cannot be called a homophobe for saying what she said, especially not in the context in which she said it. Plus, if he really thinks it is valid to call this one of the most outrageous things to ever happen in American politics, he's the irrational one.

March 6, 2007 10:28 PM
Cord says:

Wrong. In recent American politics, a political pundit of Ann Coulter's celebrity has not ever used such a famously demeaning slur in front of an audience of party heavyweights; and, I might add, to a chorus of applause. This was the GOP sending a clear message to the Log Cabin constituents. This was a hideous devolution from subtle mudslinging to literal name-calling. This was as bad as George Wallace screaming "Segregation now, segregation tomorrow and segregation forever!" This was huge.
Best,
Cord

March 7, 2007 1:44 AM
kevoon says:

Cord is a freakin paranoid loon. Yes called someone a faggot (sort of in a round about way). That someone is a married with children straight guy. George Wallace?!?!? OMFG. Lets make a mountain out of a mole hill. This is the problem. You telling everyone the speakers intentions (as if you know them). Wallace was talking about blacks mo doubt. Coulter called 1 man (a straight man) a faggot, cuz she doesnt like him. Big damn deal!! You insite the hate not her. Faggot is a playground word used by most without any real thought about the sexual orientation of the person being called it. You seem to have to make this an anti-gay issue. Oh and not to mention, here we go again with the old gays are like blacks BS. Your not!! i can tell when a black man is walking up to me. I can hardly ever tell for certain that a gay man is. Big diff. You are a victim!! Of an over protective society. Get some damn backbone and stop being offended everytime the word faggot is used against straght people for god's sake! I would be right there with you if the person were gay. But he wasnt, ala this is a non-hate issue. Exept that Ann Coulter hates John Edwards. I dont like him much either.

March 7, 2007 1:17 PM
angela says:

We're here! We're queer! And we don't want anymore bears!

-H.J.S.

March 7, 2007 1:39 PM
Edwards is ghey says:

OK, since when does the term faggot just mean a homosexual? Guys call each other fags all the time. It is a put down, not a term that means "he likes having sex with men." What if shge called him a queer, would that be OK? Cord, you are over reacting, i would suggest putting your tin foil hat back on.

March 7, 2007 2:19 PM
angela says:

haha! #58 plays on Fark!

/me too
//do slashies work here too?

March 7, 2007 2:22 PM

Post Your Comments

Note: It may take up to a minute for your comments submission to be processed. Please do not click "Post" more than once, or your comments may be duplicated.

Email This Post